Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Busy Christmas Break

I recently completed what I would call a challenging, yet successful semester. On December 19th, West Nairobi School, began its three week holiday. I am thankful for a time of rest and an opportunity to see more of Africa. The following are some of the things I’ve been up to…..

·An all staff luncheon

·I have been volunteering at an orphanage down the street from where I live, called New Life Childrens' Home. They take in infants from the ages of 0 to 3. A percentage of them are infected by HIV/ AIDS.

The Elephant Park







·Shopping at Village Market

·Christmas Eve we went to dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant, and then invited some people over to watch “The Grinch” on a projector we borrowed from school. We don’t have a TV, so it was a treat not to watch this movie on my laptop.

·Christmas day consisted of house hopping. We joined the Gibson family for brunch and the Germo family for dinner. It was a blessing to be in a "homey" atmosphere for a days time.


·Camping in Hell’s Gate was a definite highlight. We spent 3 days exploring this national park and all its creatures, through hikes and a bit of rock climbing.
















·

The Nairobi National Museum








·We brought in the New Year with a game night that lasted until 11, and then headed over to a local hot spot/restaurant called Carnivore. We watched a spectacular fireworks show and danced throughout the night until we were completely exhausted.

·Masai Mara is a village I am headed to this week. There, I will take part in a three day safari.

5 comments:

brad said...

Congrats on finishing semester 1! It won't be long now before an extended summer break! ;-)

You have listed one of the reasons I have always considered teaching/working somewhere foreign... When you do get time off, you don't have to travel too far because you are already someplace unique. I spent my Christmas Break in England traveling Europe and have often considered a job in say... Alaska because of the thought of being able to take "weekend" trips to... Alaska! Glad you got the opportunity to get out, it all looks amazing...

I am curious though what kind of message they are trying to send over there... You have recently visited places that were beautiful, but named "Paradise Lost" and "Hell's Gate"... Hmmm...

It is nice to know that you had a "homey" place to go for some of the holidays. I have taken advantage of the Green's house for this reason while I have been here in CA and have really appreciated their hospitality...

OK, this is really starting to look more like an e-mail then a "comment" so I guess I should wrap it up... Have fun on safari! It's about time, you are, after all, in the "safari capital of the world"!

Unknown said...

Keep your eyes peeled for a real, live hippo!!!

Amy said...

Brad - Thanks! It is a great thing not to have to travel far. I envy the fact that you spent some time in England. I hope to say the same some day. And Alaska, I would agree, sounds like one of those have to see places. I'm sure they are in need of great teachers there too. If you can survive the cold, but I guess you are from Wisconsin. Glad you made it back safely from the holidays.

Chis - You are in luck... I finally saw a real, live HIPPO! Guess I can go home now :) I'll post pics asap.

brad said...

Glad to hear you made it back to... and you even had wild animals to contend with! I just had a bad cold...

Brian said...

And Happy New Year to you! I see this year as the year of hope, the year that humanity returns to our society. The year that the world starts to look for greater things among us all, not destruction of some for the gain of others.

The first manifestation of this shift will be, I believe, the inauguration of Barack Obama in a couple of weeks. What is the awareness of his election in Kenya? What is their opinion? Is their feeling the same that we are getting over here?