Sunday, January 25, 2009

Church Life

My goal, when I first arrived here in July, was to visit a few different churches and then quickly find a community to call home. I have to admit this was a frustrating process. Basically, what it came down to, I was only able to visit places I could get transportation to and from. I'd like to say that I was patient though, in holding out for the right fit. A church home where I could be fed biblical truth, and at the same time, feel like I could give back to the congregation. After two and half months of searching, I came across a place called Mamlaka Hill. A church that is fairly traditional to something you might find in the states, but has what I like to call an "African flare" to it. The worship at Mamlaka is outstanding. Lots of energy and talented voices. Some songs are sung in English and others in Swahili (the mother language). I feel like this was an important part of choosing a church, being that it is one of the main ways, I personally, relate to God. Another aspect to be considered, in this decision, was that I needed to be challenged though the sermons. Other churches I had visited were fairly basic (at least in my opinion), or I had a difficult time understanding the pastor through his thick African accent. Either way I had been struggling to find a fit.

The community at Mamlaka Hill is open hearted. Right away I felt welcome, even though I had to stand up with a mic and introduce myself to the congregation. I proudly announced that I was a Kenyan resident, which locals love to hear. Any time I take interest in their culture, they make it well known that they approve. I have grown to love the people here and some of the ways in which they live life. While in Africa, I am determined to experience as much of the culture that I can, not live in a sheltered bubble. Some Sundays, I still struggle to find transportion, so I visit the children's orphange down the street from where I live. I am usually greeted with three or four leg hugs and one or two "please hold me". Last Sunday, I walked into the infant room only to find they were short one staff member. With 16 babies needing to be changed and fed, I was able to be of some assistance. It was nice to feel needed, plus I was blessed to be surrounded by all those precious and innocent faces.

4 comments:

Barman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cari said...

I'm soo glad you've found a "fit". How could they not welcome you?! How are things going in regards to next year? Would love to catch up a bit when you can. We love and miss you Ms. Amy!

brad said...

"African flair" huh? Care to elaborate? :-) I can't wait to hear more detail on everything that you are absorbing in your time over there. I know this blog is an infinitely small slice of it all...

It is nice to hear that you found a place with worship that suits you. I know how important that is, and for me as well. Unfortunately, I don't know if I could really get myself to keep going, or really engage, without it. I could go on about this point, but that is probably better dealt with in my own blog I suppose... ;-)

All that said, I am glad to hear that you have found a place to fit. I am happy to hear about the babies as well, if only more Christians would remember that we can find Christ in such places as well and it is just as worthy of our time as a Sunday meeting, your description of the children coming to you and the love you offer almost sounds Biblical! but I digress... You don't want to get me started there! ;-)

Unknown said...

I, too, am glad you found a place to worship that "fits". :)