Saturday, January 31, 2009

Carnivore

More meat than I could ever eat. Carnivore is the name of a local restaurant that serves a variety of exotic meats, such as ostrich and crocodile, in the setting of a tropical forest. This is a must see place when you visit Kenya. The meal starts with a bowl of hot fried cornbread and leads into a dinner salad with brown bread and butter. Oh so good! Then comes the main entrĂ©e… nothing but meat. A scolding hot iron plate was put before us without a single thing on it. Before I could blink there was meat on a skewer coming at me from the right and from the left. If I said “yes” the waiter would take his machete and slice off a piece of whatever it happened to be. In fact, this whole process didn’t stop until we “surrendered the flag.” On our table was a white flag that was only to be put down when all twenty people at out table were full. I did my best to stay up with the best of them, but I think I surrendered way before the flag was actually taken down. To add to the grandeur of the evening, when all was said and done, NICS picked up the tab, so our meal was not an expense taken from our own pocket. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and those that I went to dinner with.

3 comments:

brad said...

Mmmm... At my house lately we have been watching a show called Man v. Food on the travel channel. Basically the host travels around the US and eats much as he can at "America's pig-out spots"... The show often has a eating challenge in it and one was an 11 lbs pizza (called the Carnivore) that he needed to eat with a partner in under an hour... They didn't finish... Makes me hungry every time... I saw the post title and my mind immediately went there and your post didn't disappoint. Good thing there wasn't pictures with it. I don't think "drool damage" is covered under my Mac's warranty... It sounds like my kind of safari!

Way to keep on your pace for approximately 4 posts a month! (And way to get in another food post!) You had me worried for a little bit there... ;-)

Cari said...

Glad to hear you're eating :D. Miss you and praying for you. Let us know when you're doing your next service project.

Unknown said...

You made me SO hungry!!!