Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, OH MY!

Okay, so I really only saw a lion out of those three, but I thought it was an appropriate title for this piece. I have just returned home from my first safari to the Masai Mara. This was a vacation like none other that I have experienced thus far. A group of us from school (Kate, Jonathan, Julie, Lynn, myself, and the Bussell family), went on three different game drives over a three day period. Hours and hours of looking for wild creatures. The Mara was absolutely beautiful, quiet, and peaceful.









Our safari guide wasn't afraid to get up close and personal with any and all of the animals we came across. Most creatures could care less, with the exception of this elephant. After charging at us a couple of times, we decided it was best to leave him alone.









I posted this picture of hippos for Chris. I've been here six months and this is my first time to see many of these things. One of my favorite sightings was these four lions, eating a giraffe. Our safari guide said this was an unusual find and that these guys were on day two of this one course meal.









Our late evenings were spent back at the hotel, taking advantage of the food buffet, sitting around the fireplace, listening to the chirping of crickets outside, and drinking hot tea. The restaurant we ate in was an open area, with the exception of a grass and bamboo covering. Our dinner table viewed the nearby river where crocodiles stirred about.









On day two of our safari, we visited a Masai village. I learned that this is the largest of the 42 tribal groups in Kenya. Our people were warmly welcomed with a traditional dance by the young warriors of this tribe. We spent the afternoon finding out the way in which they live life... how they construct their homes with branches and cow dung, how they build fires and hunt wild game, and why they drink a mix of cow blood and milk on special occasions. While I was fascinated by the their very different ways of life, I decided that I would not do well living in the bush.

A list of the things I saw in the Mara:

vervet monkey, stork, guinea foul, giraffe, topi, warthog, hartebeest, elephant, eland, lion, cheetah with cubs, crowned crane, plower, wildebeest, zebra, toad, cape buffalo, baboon/albino, impala, jackal, mongoose, hyena, turkey vulture, toni eagle, gazelle, hippo, ostrich, crocodile, goat, cow, monitor lizard, bat, secretary bird, water buck








2 comments:

brad said...

Wow, that sounds like just my kind of vacation... "beautiful, quiet and peaceful"...

OK, that elephant looks HUGE! Did he charge you or the other vehicle? Could you feel him coming like in Jurassic Park?

I can't even imagine seeing lions in the wild... or that cheetah! My jealousy grows stronger...

I do still think it is enjoyable picturing you living in the bush... We could start a pool back here on how many days you would last... ;-)

I like how you called it your "first safari"... Keep taking advantage of your location! ;-)

Unknown said...

Yeeeeeeeeees!!! You saw hippos! Did your little pink hippo friend want to jump in the river with her friends?