Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mitumba Slums



This last month, I have been working together with an organization called Christian Mission Aid, on a community outreach fundraiser. Our goal was to collect 150 food buckets, from West Nairobi families, to feed the less fortunate in Mitumba Slums (see earlier blog). Each bucket contained basic food items such as… rice, beans, flour, salt, maize meal, etc. Since local Kenyan schools are out of session for the entire month of December, this means the children are not provided the two meals a day they normally receive at school. One bucket is equipped to feed one child’s family for a week during this Christmas break.







I am happy to report, that we exceeded our goal by six. I was so excited, and so were our students to find out the final results. My faith was put to the test though, when a week prior we were only at 30 buckets. I can honestly say, at that point, my optimism had turned to disappointment. I was sure this was a project that God had placed in my hands, and I didn’t understand why there weren’t more buckets coming in. Never underestimate our heavenly father, a lesson I am learning here in Africa, over and over.







Thursday, November 20th, I took the eleventh grade class and a few staff members into Mitumba to deliver these buckets. When we arrived, after one set back of getting the bus stuck in the mud, we were welcomed by many open arms. The students had prepared a presentation for us with singing, awards, and words of appreciation. We were loved on, that is for sure. It is hard to put into words how my heart was blessed by this event. I think I could speak for us all. Later we played games with these 270 students. Who knew a tire had more than one use?







5 comments:

brad said...

That is so awesome Amy! God definitely has a purpose for you there that is for sure... And isn't it amazing how He surprises us by blessing us so much when we give? What a truly amazing Father He is indeed. Those pictures of the kids and their enormous smiles tell the whole story!

One thing I was wondering about was who was busy taking pictures while everyone else was pushing the bus? ;-)

And finally, yes, it is amazing what a little ingenuity can do with something like an old tire...

I pray God would continue to bless you with His lessons and presence even as He uses you to pour blessings on others.

Cari said...

How awesome!! We rejoice with you and those precious ones. Isn't it amazing how we think we are the ones "giving" the blessing and yet we end up "receiving". Thank you for being faithful and loving your Father enough to sacrifice your time for this season. Remember, you will never be able to out give God. We miss you and think of and pray for you often.

Erin Ralls said...

I am so excited for you that things are so good for you. I thought of you on your birthday last month, hope you had a good day, sounded like you did. Miss ya, I know we didn't see much of each other the last couple years but I'd always think of you and now that you're farther away I think of you more. Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

Brad- I know God has purpose to me being here too, just like you being in CA. He is pretty amazing and I saw that throughout this experience. By the way, someone had to document the bus moment. They did fine getting it unstuck on their own.

Cari- Thanks for joining me in my excitement. Yep, that whole giving and receieveing thing amazes me. Especially when you don't expect it. Miss and love you all too!

Erin- Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Give those cute boys some love from me. Thanks for thinking about me on my bday. Yours isn't too far around the corner either. A visit is a must when I get back. I think of you often as well.

brad said...

Likely story about the bus... I was just curious because there are clearly some small children pushing that would perhaps have been capable of taking of picture... but you know I am just giving you a hard time, maybe because I would have inevitably been one of the "pushers" had I been there... and I would have given you the same grief in that case as well... :-D

I can't wait to see more of the purpose God has for you as He continues to reveal it to you, and you to us. It strikes me that this is going to be something that He will continually use to teach you and reveal more of Himself with, even long after the actual experience is completed. I will, we will, definitely continue to pray that and I am sure that many of us will benefit from your time given to God as well through our interactions with you. Apparently it is contagious... :-)