Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mombassa

I have finally set eyes on the Indian Ocean. It all started with an eight hour bus ride on a Friday night. We arrived the following morning at 6, took a matatu to our hotel, in hopes to shower and rest a bit. We arrived only to find that our reservation had been lost. So we gladly wasted time by finding a place to eat breakfast and going for a walk along the shore line, waiting for the hotel manager to come into work.



The view was spectacular. Just like the Pacific, there was fine white sand (minus the dried out seaweed), blueish-green ocean water, unique tropical plants, and the smell of fresh salty water. It wasn’t long before my shoes were off and my feet were in the soft sand. I approached the water, preparing myself for a shocking cold. To my surprise, it was a pleasant temperature.
















The manager eventually showed up and found a place for us to stay down the street. It wasn’t quite as nice as our original location, but still a site to see. Because of the last minute changes, all eight of us teachers crammed into a two bedroom place, where we fixed our own meals, played some competitive card games, and rested from the long journey the night before. Most of our time was spent around the pool, sipping on coconuts and enjoying the slow pace of our weekend.

The location even included our very own family of monkeys. These guys were an active bunch, swinging from tree to tree, only stopping for a bite to eat. I finally had to leave them alone when they started to use me as a tree.



I would have to say, there were two highlights from this trip. The first was a camel ride down the beach and the second, an exploration through the deep waters, with a snorkeling mask. I saw some fascinating creatures. I only wish I could have captured them all on camera. Sunday night we started our journey back home. Another 8 hours on the bus and no sleep. Thankfully, Monday was a holiday, so I slept the day away. It was a fabulous weekend.



Pictured: Jen, Brenton, Jonathan, Kate, Joel, Steven, Becca, Amy


6 comments:

brad said...

Great, that leaves the score officially @ Amy 3 - Brad 0 (or did we decide Monterey bay counts?) ;-)

Anyway, one thing struck me as I was reading and that being that for a place that many would probably describe as being "simple", no task seems to be simply completed... Sounds like you had a great time though, & you really seem to be getting used to the "Africa" thing!

Great pics but I think 2 were missing; 1. Amy as a tree... 2. Those sunglasses?! ;-)

brad said...

Hey! Saw that you got a car! Excellent!

Cari said...

So awesome!!! What incredible experiences you are having. We miss you but seeing a pict of your beautiful smile does help. So I hear camel riding is very uncomfortable, what would you say? I agree with Brad, would've loved to see Miss Amy as a tree, the kids would've gotten a kick out of that.

Amy said...

Yep, the rumor is true, camel riding is very uncomfortable. Wouldn't want to go for a long distance. The perspective from so high up is pretty cool though.

Sorry to disappoint, I was the one taking pics, so none of me as a tree. And the sun glasses are no where to be found.

Great observation. No task is simply completed here. Part of the hardship of living in this third world country.

brad said...

I remember riding the camel for like bucks or something ridiculous at the zoo back home (not far from No Town, WI). I was pretty young so I am sure that the excitement, and brevity, far outweighed any temporary discomfort...

What do you think Cari, should we believe the excuse about the pics? Seems like the other photos offer evidence to some other photographer(s)...

You mean I have been waiting patiently to see those sunglasses in action only now to find out that it simply won't be happening!? How disappointing...

I have been seriously considering emigration lately... would your vote be against ending up in a third world locale?

;-) Had to get one of those in there for you... ;-) or 2...

Mariah S said...

Hey girl, I'm so happy for you! Glad you are doing well! :-)