Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

Another birthday has come and gone. But this one I spent in Africa (somebody pinch me). I turned 27 on a Thursday this year. It was a pretty ordinary work day, with soccer practice after school. A few exceptions to the norm though. I had dinner out with friends, a call from home, and a chocolate cake celebration with my third grade class. It was a hard day to be so far away from home, but thankfully, a busy one. Last week, I received in the “snail mail” my birthday presents. A sweater, movies, candy, and more movies. Thanks family, who I dearly love! I now have something to do late at night. The real b-day celebration happened the following weekend. Eight of us went to Mombasa, a city located on the African coast. Another lifetime goal I can check off. I have now seen three out of the four oceans. Thank you to all of you who sent cards. I appreciated them!

7 comments:

brad said...

Hey! I turned 27 on a Friday! Does that make you older then me?

It sounds like a fun time. Sorry I missed the party. Do you think there will be a make-up one later?

You'll have to get some pics up of that "other" ocean...

Where you able to get those school supplies while you were in Mombassa? ;-)

It sounds like quite the celebration, lasting 2 weeks! Enjoy every one of your new experiences over there. I had a co-worker in a group home I worked in that always used to say, "If you can't be home, this isn't a bad place to be." It sounds like that phrase can apply here.

PS You're welcome.

Amy said...

No, definitely not. Pictures of Mombasa are on their way. school supplies?

brad said...

Definitely not!? Ouch! Is that a slam?

As for the supplies, in an earlier post (much earlier) you mentioned that the school supplies, I think from last year, had gotten held up in Mombasa and hadn't yet shipped. I was simply wondering about y'all picking 'em up while you where there... I guess it was a better joke in my head... It's not funny if I have to explain it though... Which is probably why most people don't think I am funny...

Cari said...

Oh Amy,
I'm sooo sorry I missed your birthday!!! Happy belated one. I am a little intimidated about sending anything overseas. You'd think John would be able to walk me through it but he was always on the receiving side of things. We miss you soo very much.

Unknown said...

Happy b-lated b-day, Miss Amy. Um...can't say I would have realized it had you been here, either, tho. Sorry, I'm a guy. (Can I use that excuse?)

Oh...but I have some pictures to share with you that I took of Mary at the marathon she ran over the weekend.

Amy said...

Thank you all for the birthday shout outs!

Can't wait to see the pictures Chris. You should send wedding ones too.

Brian said...

...and a very belated happy birthday to you, Amy....