Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A National Holiday

Today, in light of the US presidential election and Obama's win, Kibaki (Kenya's president) has declared tomorrow a national holiday. I am left a bit confused as to why we are recognizing a US event, other than the fact that Obamas father's roots are tied to Kenya. If it means the day off, I won't argue though. It is amazing how many Kenyans are up to date on American politics, even the kids. I walked into the Kindergarten class this morning to... Obama won the prize, Obama won the prize. They sure do love this man. I have learned not to say much when I'm asked my opinion, through encountering some pretty heated debates. What will the next four years hold? We shall see.

4 comments:

brad said...

Well, enjoy your day off! I wonder if Bush will do the same here...

Heated debates seem to be the way of this election over here as well, and I am sure that those debates didn't end simply with last night's results... It was a pretty interesting night last night... We shall see indeed...

Cari said...

I've had a pretty sad day today. I am sooo glad that I know the One who is ultimately in control no matter what the people of the world think. I just say, "This world is not my home I'm just apassin' through." and "Lord come quickly."

Unknown said...

I would throw on my two-cents, but you know which way I lean. Suffice to say, Room 15 had some very interesting discussions leading up to election day.

Brian said...

The world cares about this election because for the first time since Bobby Kennedy, the world is inspired and believing that we can create a better world for all of us, peacefully, without winners & losers.

George Bush said he was a uniter, not a divider, but history shows that just the opposite was true. Barack Obama did not make claims about caring for everyone; instead, he simply lives it.