Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Getting Settled In

My access to the internet is through an internet cafe at the moment. Time online has been limited. Unfortunately, internet is on and off at school as well, so I (close your ears mom and dad) walked here today, by myself, so I could check my email. I implied that it isn't safe, but it is during the day. I'm learning my way around quickly.

Everyone is busy at work! I moved into my new apartment Tuesday. It is two bedrooms with one bath. Jennie, it’s not quite the place we had in the states. I miss our old place! I have one other person who lives with me, her name is Julie. This means I have a room to myself, something that wasn’t expected, but I am excited about. Julie and I are both new staff members so we have a lot to learn about being on our own, everything from how to sanitize and cook our food to how to pay the bills. There is no mail system locally, so we hand deliver everything. And since we are out a car that means a lot of walking. As a result, I’m thankful this will keep me in shape. We employ an askari (gate guard) for our compound and also house help (a maid). This is very common in Africa. Chores take a considerable amount of time because they are all done by hand, such as laundry, dishes, and cooking from scratch. The house help alleviates some of the daily stress since we are gone a good portion of the day. But it feels weird coming from a place that has slavery in our history. Although, that is not how it is perceived here.

The area we live in would be considered middle class, but at home we wouldn’t view it the same. Most would consider this a low income area. I feel conflicted in my heart because there has been times where I thought to myself… this place is old, and dirty, and I don’t own but a few things, but then I see on a daily basis people that are a lot less fortunate. I’ll admit that this is a struggle. God is good though, and we are taking this one day at a time. We have a place to call home now and that is an answer to prayer. No more living out of a suitcase!





Pictures of school. All week we have been setting up offices and classrooms. Full staff orientation starts Thursday(tomorrow). We finally get to meet the whole gang!

In the wild... real live giraffes. Saturday we took a trip to look at some wild life in Kenya. These long neck creatures were really friendly as long as you had food on you. Otherwise watch out for a nice head but. God's unique African creatures are all around, but birds and giraffes are the extent of what I have seen thus far.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Whaaaaaaaaaat!?!? No hippos?!?!

:-)

I'm glad to read that you're settling in, Miss Amy.

We, too, are in the prep stages of the new academic year. Always so much to do! Hang in there....

Cari said...

Oh Sweet Girl!! So good to hear you're setteling in. I just watched a wonderful movie about Mother Teresa, I challenge you to try to find some literature on/about her. It will encourage & "spur you on to good work" in your present circumstances.

Amy said...

Chris- I'm a little sad that I am not there to start the school year with you all. I miss you guys a lot! I am craving some area of curriculum or activity that I am familiar with. Everything is new! Needless to say I am growing, which is good. Good luck with your prep. Tell everyone I said hello.

Julie Salinas said...

Hello Miss Amy, I am so glad to see and you are doing well, The animals are beautiful. How long are you going to be there? I guess it is ok that you missed Ethan's birthday. He thinks it is so cool that you are in Africa. The Salinas Family say's Hello and if you need anything please let us know. What is the easiest way to reach you. P.S. My brother say's Hi.

TarynK said...

Hey Amy, how are you? My mom was just talking to your mom and she passed on the link for your blog to Stacey and I. I just got the pictures back from our slumber party today, I will send them out to you. There is a really good one of the 4 of us. Well I better get going. Amy, I admire you so much for the job you are doing. You will be in my prayers daily! Love you!!

Taryn

YaYa to 3 and 1 Angel Baby said...

Dearest Amy,
PTL you arrived safely to beautiful Africa; we are so proud of you Amy and will be praying for you each day. When I read your blog it made me think of Joshua and how he served as Moses' assistant for forty years.....he learned how to be a true servant of God, which is exactly what you are doing Amy. I know the Lord has awesome PLANS for you dear one....He already has been working in you.
Blessings to you our sweet sweet Amy, you are just like another daughter to us.
Lifting you up to our Heavenly Father each day, "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you." Joshua 1:5
Love you with all our hearts,
Lance and Janet

Amy said...

Julie- It is great to hear from you! It has been a long time. Tell the whole fam I said hello. The easiest way to contact me is probably through email: amypolhemus@gmail.com. I am here for a year, maybe more. I'm not sure what God has for the future yet.

Taryn- Happy belated birthday! I hope you enjoyed the fam around the pool. I hear it's still hot there. Drastic difference coming to Africa... its winter here. I would love for you to send pics of our slumber party. Good times. Love you guys!

Auntie Janet- Thanks for your encouraging words and keeping me updated! I just sent off an email to you. Love ya!