Wednesday, August 13, 2008

First Day of School

I am blessed! Thank you to all of you who are in some way reaching out, whether it is through prayer, email, blog responses, or financial aid. Tearful eyes come when I think about the support I have behind me. Each and every one of you plays a huge part in the mission I am here for. It has been a little over two weeks since I arrived, and so far things are off to a good start.

The first official day of school has come and gone. I survived! Not that I didn’t think I would. First impressions are important though. In my opinion, they set a tone for the remainder of the year. It was a half day. This helps to ease our way back from a long summer break.

My day started in a third grade classroom and ended in the fourth grade classroom. I have a unique position this year. I am responsible to teach language arts to two grade levels, as well as K-5 Elementary PE. After school, I coach intramural sports and run a program called Community Development. This is a bit of a stretch for me, or what you might say is out of my comfort zone.

Community Development is a program designed to get kids involved in their surroundings. Last year, students worked with a local orphanage. This year, I am hoping to do the same, and also extend our resources a little more. My current ideas include… working in the slums (severe poverty areas) with other disabled children, helping with an AIDS awareness program, and fundraising for long term goals (ex. play equipment).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear Day 1 went well. I hope I can say the same next week!(At least you don't need to wait 15 extra minutes for all the buses to show up this year - small mercies!)

brad said...

It sounds like you will have an incredible year ahead of you. The Community Development stuff sounds like if could/will be amazing. How is the PE going? ;-) What are you coaching? (Is that your PE/coaching whistle in the photo?!) I wish I could see that... Heck, I wish I could see all of it! I am so excited for you (and a fairly jealous as well, I miss that stuff...)!

PS You're welcome! Thanks for letting us be involved.

Julie Davidson said...

Amy! It's so great to be able to see pictures of where you are and to be able to get a bit of a glimpse of what you're doing there.
I'm so happy to hear that the first day went well for you. I bet the kids all love you! How many students do you have in your class? Will you always be doing 3rd and 4th? Love you!