Saturday, August 23, 2008

Finding Differences in a New Culture

There are times where I don’t feel like I’m really here in Africa. For one reason, it’s cold! Who thought Africa would be cold, even though it is winter here. They also have a shopping center in the city where I live, called Nakumatt. It looks like a version of Walmart, minus a few American things. Within these four walls, I forget I am in a different country until I go to the register and I’m asked to pay 2,000 shillings. That sounds like a lot right? It looks like a lot! That is only about thirty dollars. And then sometimes… as my mind drifts into work mode here, it is interrupted by the electricity going out. I’m then quickly reminded that I am actually in Africa.
A good day, I have come to find out, consists of hot water, electricity, an internet connection, and a ride to work. We walk along the streets here and a majority of people are dressed better than myself. This is odd to me because a majority of people here live and work in places that are quite the contrary.

I felt like I really stood out when I first got here. Which I think is reasonable thinking. People watched and stared, but over time I’ve come to realize that they do this with each other as well. The African culture, it moves at its own pace. They have time to watch the day as it literally rolls by. At the same time, I do have to mention that people here are very hard workers. It requires a lot of effort when you do everything by hand.

There is something here called a “people section.” It is a truck bed crammed, that might be an understatement, of men who are getting a ride to work. I’ve been told that most of them are construction workers. It is awkward and slightly humorous to get behind one of these vehicles. Often we run into this situation in the morning. They point, stare, and laugh at our car, full of six white girls. What do you do when you can’t pass them other than laugh at what they must be thinking? Between us and them it is a bit of a comedy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I have seen you drive, so I could understand their amusement!

Just kidding!!! :-)

I can imagine the culture shock you are experiencing. I seem to notice this when I'm in other states in our union as well. I just hope Nakumatt has more than three cashiers open during the busiest parts of the day.

And in case you're wondering, Wal-Mart still has no concept of this.

Ciao for now!

John Tanner said...

It is so interesting to see the similarities in cultures around the world. I remember the first time I saw a "people section" in Iraq. All of us wondered why so many people would cram into the back of a truck, that was until we found out the price of gas. This of course didn't cut back on the traffic jams in and out of Baghdad.

I'm glad things are going well for you over in Africa. Keep up the good work. We, (the Tanner/Salinas family) wish you the best. We'll be in touch.

brad said...

Didn't I try to warn you about the temp? How come no one ever believes me? ;-) I think I could use some good old "cold" right about now... Anyway...

I was wondering... is the pointing, staring and laughing at a car full of six white girls a difference or similarity in culture?

Praying that you continue to transition into this new world...

Divine in the Daily EJPhotography said...

thanks for this update/insight into your life!

i'm praying for ya.