Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bitter Sweet

This first month, I have been extremely challenged in a culture I am quickly learning about. There are things that I already love about Africa and others that frustrate me. I recognize, however, this is all part of the adventure. Let’s start with school. We are three weeks in, and I have not had one uneventful day. It is amazing to work in a place that people have traveled, literally half way around the world, to teach at. There is a common cause that drew us all to these children and that creates a strong bond. However, our resources are limited, which leads to lack of organization. I crave things to be in order, especially in a work setting. I have had to bite my tongue a few times to save myself from getting in trouble. For example, the school supplies ordered last year have yet to come in. There was a strike in Mombassa, therefore no supplies. We’re lucky at this point to find a pencil with an eraser. I have been lesson planning in pen, not exactly ideal.

Kindergarten... one of my favorite classes to teach. I'm trying to get them to participate in PE, but you would think it is story time.

I am in the process of developing school programs and there is no one around that knows how to answer my questions. The school site principal is on furlough until January, and the interim principal is just trying desperately to survive the basics. Jim you were right, teaching overseas is much different. I miss you Reagan crew! Another plus to our school is that our average class size is roughly 20 students, Kindergarten through 11th grade. That is a dream number in the states. Despite the fact, there is work to be done, we leave school everyday around 4:00 pm. That is not enough time to get things done, but that’s when our ride says its time to go. We need our own car. Please be praying for this to happen sooner rather than later.



My time at home is spent differently now. Instead of going for a walk, going out on the town, or watching TV at night (with the exception of a season of House, that someone let us borrow), I now read books, cook, write emails saved on my computer, or grocery shop. So frequently? Yes! That’s what happens when you don’t have preservatives in your food. You make lots of trips to the store. Often times it is unsafe to be out after dark (about 6:00 pm.), so we come up with things to do at home. On weekends though, I have started taking Salsa lessons, we go to internet cafes, to church on Sundays, and we also visit people’s homes.

I live in a two bedroom/ 1 bath apartment. If you want to take a hot shower, you get up two hours ahead of time to turn on the water heater. And even then, it only lasts 10- 15 min. So I’ve started taking showers at night and my roommate takes hers in the morning. This also helps with the flooding problem. The shower floor is set down an inch from the floor in the hallway. It has a small drain in the corner that can’t keep up with the water coming out the faucet. Therefore, water everywhere. If we are not careful it will over flow into my room. Thankfully, that has only happened twice. I’m not sure what the architect was thinking when he constructed this area of the house. We recently got a used washer. This is a blessing, even if we can only use it for its spin cycle. The machine will not hold water, but it does a great job ringing out our clothes, which means… things dry faster! Dad what do you think about a quick trip to do some handy work?

Homesick. I have to say, when I first got here I wasn’t that homesick. Not like the last time I left home for six months. It is slowly seeping in though. Usually my down times I wish I could make a trip home. I love you family and I wish you guys could be a part of living in Africa. People said this would be an experience of a life time and that it is. Next weekend our school staff is going on a retreat. I am excited to get outside Nairobi and see some other sites.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you!

"Bittersweet" definitely sums up this entry. I wish my students were THAT good with their titles. But that's another story for another time.

Remember, we're all just an email away.

Cari said...

Dear Sweet Sis,
May God bless you & help you to see the incredible gift you are giving for/to Him. Remember (I've been learning this this year), it wouldn't be a sacrifice of praise if we didn't have to sacrifice something, God also seeks our obedience more than sacrifice, & God only gives us the grace for the moment,not for our "if's" or our imaginings.
Love to you, the kids send their love too. We'd love to send things your way but not sure how to do that.

McIntyres said...

Hay,Miss Polhemus,

It's Miranda
I miss you so much. I got Mrs.Dewall as my teacher. I also got Dusten, Madline and Waytt in my class. Do the kids in Africa talk different than we do?Do you have to learn a whole new language?Can you send me your email address at doraspal@clearwire.net
Hope you write back soon!
Bye!



Love,
Miranda

Amy said...

Cari- Hope you got your Happy Birthday message. How is your wrist since the surgery? Thanks for the constant reminders of how great a God we serve. Sending love back your way.

Miranda- Good to hear from you! I hope your school year is starting out well. Check your email.

Amy said...

Chris- Thanks for always being my first reader and for only being an email away. Tell Jen I said hello.

Unknown said...

I guess I'm just at the right place and time. Psychic or coincidental? You figure it out...then tell me. :-)

brad said...

Good old Kindergardeners... Before I moved out here I was teaching in a 4 yr old classroom. Yikes! Of course participation in PE wasn't hard, as long as the only game was chase Mr. Brad around... ;)

Sorry to hear about the organization. I can imagine that would drive you crazy pretty quickly. Hopefully you will continue to adapt to that.

Too bad you don't have any Everybody Loves Raymond to watch! :)

I will keep praying for "home" to be where you are, even while it is so far away...

brad said...

Hey! I just noticed that it is finally warmer in Kenya than it is here! (In fact, I am having some trouble typing because my fingers are cold! Of course it will be MUCH hotter here soon, probably in a few short hours.) Hope you enjoyed it!

John Tanner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Tanner said...

Hey, we just wanted to drop by and say "Hello". The kids hope you're doing well. Chris and Julie hope that your room doesn't flood too often. The sponges are in the mail...lol.

We'll pray for you.

Tanner/Salinas Family

madeline old student of amy's said...

Hi ms. polhemus i miss you madeline