Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jambo (hello) from Africa

At last, I have reached my final destination! Twenty-six hours of flying, 18 hours of layovers, 5 hours in the car, and 1 bus ride later, I am here. I don’t have any pics to post yet, but I am quickly acquiring them, so please stay tuned. West Nairobi new staff members (including myself) are currently staying in a guest house and working our way through orientation this week. Monday, 5 days from now, we will move into apartments.


A popular question has been… Is Nairobi what you expected? I would have to say both yes and no. There is more poverty than what I could have ever imagined, even in the more developed areas. There are parts of the city that are appealing to the eye and others that are not. The people are what everyone said they would be and more, both caring and welcoming. The school site, which we saw yesterday, is absolutely beautiful. I got to see my office that I will be sharing with our school athletic director, and the 3rd and 4th grade classrooms where I will be teaching. I can’t wait to start! August 12th is our first day of school.


This week we are participating in the course “How to survive Africa 101”. We are learning where to buy supplies, how to drive (in craziness), what streets are safe to walk on, how to speak basic Swahili, etc. Later this week… whoops there goes the electricity. That’s happen twice today. More to come… miss you all!

7 comments:

Cari said...

Can't wait to read & see more. God bless ya sis!

Divine in the Daily EJPhotography said...

thanks for the update! i'm so very glad you are alive and safe.

one more thing: i need a baby sitter tomorrow, can you watch the kids for a couple of hours? I'm going to Bass Lake to lead worship and teach at an MCC youth outing.

I tried texting you, but there was no response.

(you know i'm kidding right? well, i'm not kidding about the worship/mcc thing.)

Brian said...

Amy, it's great that you're now immersed in your grand adventure of a lifetime!!! I''m not sure whether I am more jealous of you or happy for you.

Stay in touch, Amy, and continue to make a huge difference in the world!

Brian said...

Oh! Keep posting pictures so we can see your new surroundings!!!!!

Julie Davidson said...

Hi Amy! I love you and am so proud of you. Keep the posts coming, I can't wait to see your photos.

brad said...

How was moving day? Ready to finally start "settling in" somewhere after all that moving and shaking? It is good to hear that you are feeling welcomed. Can't wait to hear driving stories... I wonder how they will compare to the ones about Hwy 99. ;-)

Sarah Green said...

Jambo. Habari Yako. (OK, that's spelled phenetically, cause it's been soooo long since I've been to Kenya that I can't remember if I spelled it right!!! LOL). Anywho, it's fun to read about what's going on in your life. I miss you a ton, think about you often. Hugs from the Green Family.