Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lukenya

This last weekend was our staff retreat and my first attempt to get out of the city. Everyone and their families were invited to come. We had a great time relaxing and getting to know one another. All it took was one bumpy bus ride to get there. I think I inhaled more dust than I ever have before. But it was worth it!



Lukenya, the beautiful place where we stayed, is a resort located roughly an hour outside the city of Nairobi. It is your typical vacation spot with a pool, basketball and volleyball courts, Kenyan food, conference rooms, free internet, filtered water, etc. All great things that I was thankful for! Landscaped in Acacia trees (full of thorns I learned), walks where you accumulated ticks, and water pressure of a trickling stream. I have to say, before this trip, I was really looking forward to a warm shower that I didn’t have to pay for. Well, I got that, about a gallons worth. That didn’t matter so much because the night sky made up for the not so great shower. The constellations in the southern hemisphere are quite a site. One of the other teachers and I spent over an hour trying to figure them all out. The first night we were there I went out in a jeep in search for some wild life. Here’s what I found…



zebras, wildebeests, gazelles, and some unique birds. So fun! I think this has been my most adventurous thing yet. Sorry Chris, still no hippos.

2 comments:

Mits said...

Hi,
This is very good collection of scenery.

===================================

sahil
look4ward

brad said...

More dust then Fresno?!?! You've been gone too long already! ;-)

I'll be it was nice to have a big place and escape from fear of flooding for a bit? (Not to mention the decoration... Is that real tiger?!) And you were grateful for the basketball courts? You'll have to show me your skills when you get back!

It sure was nice of that zebra to pose for you... I always thought wildebeests were rude...

I guess I'll have to take your word for your first trip, the one that got you to Kenya, sure looked like one heck of an adventure too... I am sure there are many more coming... ;-)