Saturday, September 13, 2008

Beautiful Smiles

How do I make the most of life in Africa? If I am only here a short while, what kind of things should I be spending my time on? I have been praying, God how can you use me the most here? One answer to this question I found this Thursday. When offered this teaching position, I was also asked to head up a program called Community Development. Out of the blue, I got a phone call this week about a project in the slums. A woman by the name of Cindy, has asked our school to help out with 3 local slums. WNS will be putting together hygiene/ food buckets to take to students there, who then take them home to their families. This is one of the many ways we hope to bless them. We are also looking into hosting a fundraiser to stock their library shelves full of books. Right now they are completely empty.

One of these slums I got to visit. It is called Mitumba. There are an estimated 200 students who attend the school there, Kindergarten - 8th grade. This is comparatively a smaller slum than most. Therefore, Mitumba does not have any large sponsors like Compassion International or World Vision. We will be working with Christian Mission Aid to help where we can.

It was an overwhelming rush of emotions upon our arrival. Excitement, devastation, burdensome, contentness, joyfulness, sadness, the list goes on. I was in awe to meet these kids, to see what life was like for them. Before Jonathan (another WNS teacher) and I could get out of the car, we had kids grabbing our hands and trying to get in as close as they could. I guess it didn’t matter who we were as long as we were there to love on them. It had rained earlier that day, so wearing rubber boots was a must. Mud and sewage made the ground hard to walk on.

People in Mitumba live in 8x10 shacks made from scraps of metal. The school walls were decorated with homemade charts and the floors consisted of dirt and mud. I met the pastor who also welcomed us with open arms. This man has a gigantic heart. He walked us around to each classroom, where we were greeted with beautiful smiles and a song the students sung. I am hoping to go back and teach on Thursday afternoons.

6 comments:

brad said...

That is amazing Amy. I know you will make the most of this opportunity. It is incredible and convicting to see smiles coming from such conditions. (I can picture your arrival in my mind it is quite the picture!) It is surely no mistake that YOU are THERE. I am so glad that you have found an opportunity like this.

May the Lord enlarge your heart and pour in so much to keep it overflowing towards these kids...

1 Cor. 13:13

Cari said...

PRECIOUS!!!!! How I wish we could be there to help you minister to those sweet children. May you never forget the lessons God is teaching you there while you minister and serve "the least of these". Bring it home with you, Sis, and light a fire with it. We miss you, my arm is getting better slowly but surely, homeschool is going well and Isaac just started taking piano lessons and AYSO Soccer. Never a dull moment here (just different than your "busy"). Love and prayers to you daily.

John Tanner said...

Seeing the movie of those children singing was a real treat. They all seem happy and I am glad they have someone like you to teach them.

Unknown said...

Hello there Miss Amy!!! (it's Jerry V.)

I just read through all of your posts. U certainly are on an adventure. If you were breathing in more dust than the time we were off roadin' in the jeep during our fun group camp out - you must of nearly suffocated! I apologize for not looking and writing sooner. I have been driving soooo much lately.

I can't express to you how proud I am of you taking this step to follow God into Africa. It is amazing how the kids rush over to grab onto you and then share a joy that doesn't seem to make sense given their living arrangements. I think back to the trip to South Africa and smile - the children beam with hope and love.

It sounds like a challenging environment when it comes to resources and organization. I know you will continue to adapt and grow while you are there. Africa is lucky to have you. Keep up the good work!

Amy said...

Jerry- It is so good to hear from you friend!!! Thanks for checking in. Oh yes, our crazy camping trip... defiantly fun times. Please email me so I can have your address, then I'll be able to write back. Tell Jen, Matt, Mary, and Noah, I said hello.

John- It is great to have a fellow traveler to connect with. Glad you enjoyed the movie. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Cari- I'm looking into opportunities for you next year :) I pray too that I never forget these lessons I am learning. Glad to hear your arm is healing. Love the new pics of the kids starting school.

Brad- Thanks for consistently keeping up with this side of the world. I am also thankful for this opportunity in the slums. Just starting to catch up on your blogs. Enjoying them!

brad said...

You are most welcome Miss Amy. ;-)