Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mt. Longonot

Mt. Longonot National Park is located an hour and a half from where I live. On Sunday, we drove through kilometers of scenic countryside to climb the park’s main attraction, which happens to be a dormant volcano. I went with four other girls, three of which were making this climb for the second time. It really wasn’t that difficult of a hike, but when you factored in the direct sunlight, elevation, and loose dirt it definitely took a toll on everyone. The outside walls of the volcano were sparse with dry brush, rock, and sand. The view was spectacular, but there wasn’t much to look at on our way up. That is, until you reached the very top. It was like we had found a hidden treasure. Standing on the rim looking down inside the crater, there was nothing but lush, green landscape. We spent quite a bit of time at the top admiring God’s creation and sharing life stories.

So, I mentioned how dusty it was. Driving into the park, we had to take a dirt road for 4 kilometers. As we continued to drive, I became aware that it was getting difficult to see. At first, I thought the engine was producing smoke, but then I quickly realized, it was dust coming up through the floorboards and open air vents. Jen, our driver, was a trooper. There were times where it was hard to see the road. We made it to our destination safe though. We got out of the car, brushed ourselves off, and continued on. Part way through our climb, Jen looks over and says “Amy, you have something in your teeth." Sure enough, what do think it was? A thick layer of dirt. Grouse I know.

And I can’t forget… Have you ever had to wait for a herd of cattle to cross the street, or maybe a stray dog? Well me too, but what about a herd of zebras. I still can’t believe this story and I was there. While these zebras were crossing the main road, I was in such an ooh and awe state that I forgot I had a camera in hand. The occasion would have made for some great pics. Oh well, maybe next time.

3 comments:

brad said...

Another adventure added to the growing list. Excellent. Good thing you have been doing all that walking, perhaps it helped prepare you for the hike... I guess I may need to brush up on my science a little bit because I must admit, when you said "volcano", for some reason I wasn't thinking "lush, green landscape!

I know they are surely very different, but upon reading your story I couldn't help but be reminded of Yosemite (right down to the hour and a half drive and stories and sense of awe at God's creation).

Good to hear you are getting to know your fellow teachers better too, that is a huge blessing I am sure...

What?! How can you tell the story with all that talk of dust and not give the world a picture!? I am picturing a kids movie with some sort of giant vacuum cleaner explosion or a flour fight and I can picture you covered with dust, shaking it out. I guess the picture in my head is probably more entertaining anyway... ;-)

And finally, I am reminded again of something from my latest trip to Yosemite. There is a John Mayer song that I like called "3x5" (give it a listen... ;-) ). Anyway, it is about all of his travels and how at first he took bunches of pictures to send back home, but eventually he had to stop and just use his own eyes. I was thinking about it because it struck me on a recent Yosemite trip, looking around at everyone taking so many pictures (myself included) we ended up really just looking at pictures while we were there, through our tiny viewfinder, or through replay on our digital cameras, and our eyes miss soooo much because we are constantly looking for that perfect picture. All that to say that chances are, missing some pictures while you are there is probably not such a bag thing after all.

I pray God keeps revealing Himself to you in different ways. Enjoying the ride Coach!

Unknown said...

So...no hippos yet, huh?

Oh, and Jessie is jealous!

Brian said...

Amy, it sounds as though you are hitting your stride, no pun intended. Well, perhaps partially intended!

You sound really happy, at peace, relaxed, and fully acclimated to your environment. That is wonderful news.

As you continue along with your grand adventure, know that while you are growing and learning so very much for yourself, you are also leaving behind you fantastic gifts for humanity.

Did I mention how wonderful it is just knowing that you're out there doing such wonderful work!

Take care, and don't let the shower overflow!!!

4's to you.