Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kikuyu Tribal Wedding

My first attendance at a traditional African wedding was fairly eventful. I can't say that I knew the bride and groom prior to going, but that won't surprise some of you at home. At least those of you who know how many weddings I've been to over the years. This one was altogether different though. I fit right in, don't you think?


The wedding was suppose to start at 10 am, but considering Africa time, it didn't actually begin until 12:30 pm. We had to pass the time somehow, so I began looking through a local newspaper. I came across the advertisement section and here is what I found... (click on image to the left)

I think I meet the qualifications, going to give him a call on Monday. Smile.

I traveled to the wedding with a family from our school, who actually knew the bride and groom. Being that they have lived in Africa a few years now, they were able to inform me of the process in purchasing a bride. The engagement period for a couple, about to get married, is significantly long. Basically, it lasts until the groom's family can pay the dowry. Grace, the bride pictured here, was supposedly purchased with 90 goats. How they come up with this number, I have no idea.

The morning of the wedding, it is tradition for the women in the groom's family to go and collect the bride and bring her to the church. At this point, she can no longer return to her own family. There is a lot of singing, chanting, and drum playing involved in this process. Culturally, everything on this day is meant to make the bride feel welcome into her new family. The service and reception were fairly typical to something you would see and experience in the states.




















A Kenyan meal, served at the wedding reception.


To learn more about the Kikuyu tribe check out... http://www.africaguide.com/culture/tribes/kikuyu.htm




6 comments:

brad said...

Which one is you in the picture?! You really are fitting in well there... It is worse then "Where's Waldo"! ;-)

If you were referring to the second ad... you're not old enough, remember... when you said you definitely weren't older then me... Gotta respect a man that knows what he wants though... I guess I should go and flesh out my "list" a little more... he puts mine to shame! When you call the guy, you should ask him how many goats your estimated worth is... just to satisfy my curiosity... ;-)

These last couple of posts were very "teacher-ish..." You have been on break for 2 days and already you miss it and can't help yourself! :-D

Speaking of, don't forget to update from time to time during your vacation adventures!

Cari said...

HA HA HEE HEE!!! You're soo funny! I love reading about these interesting adventures. How fun to be a witness. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year dear Sister-of-my-heart.

brad said...

Seriously, I have been as patient as I can be... How many goats?!

;-)

Amy said...

Well, I don't know how many goats I'm worth, but our safari guide tried to sell me for 20 cows (I hope cows are worth more than goats). We were visiting a Masai village where they have the same tradition of a dowry.

Amy said...

...and no, the transaction was not successful. They figured I was worth more teaching at West Nairobi. Thank goodness. I don't know how well I would have spent a lifetime in the bush.

brad said...

Hmmm... I must shamefully admit that I am not current on the cows to goats ratio... but being a WI boy (and even a CA one now!) I would have to say that cows would be worth quite a bit more then goats. I guess we can start knowing that 1 Amy is worth approximately 20 cows and work from there...

Thank goodness the transaction didn't go through indeed! (I guess then the ratio changes to 1 Amy > 20 cows...) I guess I will have to call NBC then and tell them that, at least for next season, they won't be able to premier the new show I had for them...
"1 Amy in the bush is worth 20 cows in the hand..." It was gonna fill out their Friday night lineup! :-D