Monday, September 14, 2009

Movie Moment

Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time working in the office these days with the exception of one or two field assignments per week. This particular day, I was in a slum called Kuwinda (Coo-in-da). Our organization supports a feeding program in this area, as well as individual child sponsorships.

I was sitting in the home of a pastor, on a table that appeared it would fall apart at any moment. In the process of conducting a meeting, it was almost as if time slowed down so that I could take in the depth of that moment. I was waiting for an orchestra to start playing soft music in the background, just like in a movie. But instead I heard the pastor speaking heartfelt words towards the children laughing and playing right outside the door. Which is kind of like music, right? My eyes were drawn to the rickety structure that was above my head, also the photographs which hung on the wall. I could tell this man had been through much in his life.

The cold, damp air didn’t bother me so, because I was holding tight to a hot cup of tea. We summed up our business meeting with a hand shake and left this man with our blessing. This was one of those moments that I just knew I was in the right place at the right time. I thank God for the opportunity to return to Kenya and help these students.

1 comment:

brad said...

What a beautiful narative... my friends and I have often discussed what life would be like if we had a score playing throughout it... I used to wish that my life was like a movie, I even convinced myself to wait until it was like a movie, until I found out that my life is poetry. Different, hard to understand/interpret at times but always beautiful...

You are in the right place and that in itself is a beautiful thing...