Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tossed About

Many people have asked, "Do I feel safe in Africa?" My response to that question is definitely yes, but there has been a few instances recently where I would answer the contrary. As a whole we are instructed to use common sense in not staying out past dark, always letting someone know where you are at, and not walking alone on the streets.

Two weeks ago I attended a national soccer game, Kenya vs. Tunisia, at our local Coco Cola Stadium. This was a big game! If you don't already know this, soccer is HUGE in Africa. Over 30,000 people showed up for the event.

Just to get into the stadium was quite an ordeal. Unorganized chaos is what I would call it. We observed for a while the mob pushing through the gates and realized there was no other way to get in but to push through ourselves. So, in we went while tucking away the few possessions we brought to the game. Uncomfortably being pushed around and pick pocked we made it to the front of the mob. My friend Josh thankfully made it through but I on the other hand did not. The gates were closed and for a few minutes I was left to fend for my own. I endured the moment coming out with only a few bruises on the other end.

After making it through the first gate there was still one more to go. We joined up with other friends, and found a line to stand in as we ravaged through our remaining personal items. Despite our efforts to hide things, jewelry, josh's wallet, our tickets, money had still been taken. Then, a downpour of rain came. Our nice line that we were in ran for cover, and back to a crowded mob again. As we got closer to the door we were required to hand over tickets. In the meantime, we come across new tickets to replace the ones we lost, but others in the crowd had not. These people were chased off by armed police, almost trampling us several times. A crazy day I tell you. We did make it in to see the game, and enjoyed watching our team win the match 3-1 and the fans overwhelmingly show their enthusiasm.

Since I've been in Kenya my phone has been stolen twice. Once at school, and the other while my roommate, Julie and I, were driving down a heavily populated street in town. Taken right from my hands. Having to replace my phone and numbers was quite a hassle. I am not sad over the fact that something was taken from me though, instead my heart is burdened for the individuals who justify stealing something from someone who looks like they have more. If these individuals would have asked I would have gladly helped them, but unfortunately they did not. I recognize that there is a survival mentality here, which I don't completely understand myself because I have not been faced with it. I do believe though that there are other ways to provide for your family without stealing. I pray for these individuals and their desire to do the right thing.

1 comment:

brad said...

That does sound like quite the ordeal! The only thing that sounds close is probably when I was in high school and the old Star Wars were re-released to theaters... (You're probably too young to remember that...) A terrible comparison but what can I say? I did make it to a football match (c'mon, get the terms right Miss Amy...) once while abroad, but my experience was not quite like this. It is pretty cool to know that you got to experience their passion for The Beautiful Game though. :-)

On a side not, my roommate would have been so jealous, and I am not so sure that I wouldn't have joined him in his jealousy. It doesn't sound like that bad an ordeal for the overall experience, maybe the experience would have even been lacking without it!

I'm also glad to hear that your phone has only been stolen twice! I remember the story about it getting snatched from your hands quite a while ago, which means it has been safe for a while. And hopefully, and it appears, that that means you have been safe for a while too. It is also good to see that your heart has been enlarged instead of hardened through such experiences.