Monday, April 13, 2009

Neighbor to Kenya

Spring break I spent in Uganda visiting Kristen Fry, a friend from back home, and rafting the Nile River. GOOD TIMES!

I arrived Saturday, on an early flight, excited to explore more parts of Africa . Kristen organized our time so that I could see some of Uganda's main attractions and cities... Entebbe, Kampala (the capital), Lake Victoria, the market place, and taxi park.

Kristen currently works with African Inland Missions, providing resources for local street kids. Right up my alley. I had the opportunity to meet her co-workers at Dwelling Place and the kids they look after. We brought them 6 stalks of sugar cane and played all day.













Means of transport in Uganda's crazy traffic: take a taxi or a boda-boda. My personal preference is the second one, what we know to be a motorcycle. Inexpensive and fun!










Tuesday, I worked my way through 12 rapids down the Nile River. I cannot describe to you how breathtaking this experience was. I went with a group of teachers from school (Eric, Becca, Jonathan, and Kate) and together we paddled through the bends and curves of the Nile. Our guide, Juma, was hilarious. I promise I spent half the day laughing. The rapids ranged anywhere from a class one to class five. We were a strong group but about 55 percent of the time our boat flipped. The best thing though is that everything is on video.

5 comments:

brad said...

Geez! Is any kid in any country safe from you playing with them?! ;-)

I like how the boda-boda driver has the helmet and you are just sitting on there side-saddle? Couldn't you have at least put the helmet on for the picture? Your poor parents... ;-) I only went out once on my motorcycle without a helmet... and it was actually because I was a little frustrated with my folks... Probably my stupidest rebellion ever!

Wow, even if by some fluke, the river was calm, it still would have been the Nile! Sweet! Whitewater rafting is one of those things that I would definitely like to check of my list. Good thing there are a lot of torrid rivers right here around Fresno! Oh wait... Anyway, I really like how you were specific enough in your description to say "55 % of the time". It made me laugh, maybe I underestimated your joy of #s. Did you go back through the video and keep track of time spent up and time spent tipped? Or are you just that good and did it on the fly? ;-) And "strong group" huh? Does this mean The Plan: Nairobi Edition is working? :-D

brad said...

PS Why do you continue to taunt by saying things like "we took a lot of pictures" or in this case "everything is on video" and then not show us?!

Eric said...

Hey Amy! Enjoying reading your blog! Great picture with the kids! As you describe how much you like nature and your visit to the Nile, it reminds me of our camping experience with the gang of what a "mountain-gril" you were! I know you must enjoying your trip outdoor! What a good time!

Thanks for updating, you are in my prayer and keep blogging!

May the Lord protect you, keep you safe, and uses you for His glory!

Blessings,

Amy said...

That was a fabulous camping trip Eric. Of course, I remember. And yes, I do have a weakness for the outdoors. I remember a particular song about a grasshopper. Does that ring a bell? Blessings to you too.

Brad- I guess it was bring your own helmet (BYOH). Oh well, not many rules to abide by on this side of the world. Sorry, you will probably have to look farther than Fresno for white water. Would recommend a couple of places in Tahoe. It should definitely stay on your list of things to do. The estimation of time outside the boat was an educated guess. I never exaggerate either.

brad said...

Am I going to get any help with the list soon? You've gotta be willing to help if you're going to make it longer... ;-)