Friday, February 20, 2009

Working for Shoes

The following are two new community development projects I am working on this semester. These events include our entire school in attempts to reach out to those around us in need.

Project one: Supply 150 Sinai slum students with a pair of "gently used" shoes. Each WNS participant will be given a sketch of a Sinai student's footprint. The participant's job will be to find a pair of shoes to match that specific footprint. At the end of March, we will personally deliver what we have collected.

Project two: Sponsor 200 Mitumba slum students to attend a vacation bible school over Easter break. These kiddos will have one week with a warm bed to sleep in, three meals a day, a place to bathe, an opportunity to learn about God and participate in fun activities away from their harsh daily reality. Our high school students will be responsible to run parts of the camp, interacting with campers over the week of April 21-24. The cost is roughly 25 dollars per child.

We are working alongside "Christian Mission Aid" and "Feed the Children" to support these slums. Please pray for success in these two projects and all those involved. See article entitled "this Easter" at http://www.cmaid.org/

3 comments:

brad said...

My goodness! Those both sound like amazing, & large, undertakings. I will definitely keep them, & you, in my prayers... Keep us updated on how this is going...

PS Would it be possible to send some $ your way to sponsor a kid or 2? & maybe some more info so I can see if I can find anyone else who mayveant tobhelp as well?

Amy said...

Yep, it is possible. Our student council members created a flyer that I could send to you through email. I might have to edit a few things though, to make it more general. If you were interested in sponsoring a kid (or maybe two), I think the easiest thing (if you are not already signed up with NICS accounting) would be to send a check to my Dad's house and he can deposit it into the account that I have access to from here. Thanks for having a giving heart.

brad said...

I cannot take credit because believe me, it is not my heart that is giving...

Galations 2:20...

And one that has been getting pounded into me lately...

Micah 6:8...

Keep up the good work!